1.02.2005
Musings about 2004
I'm staying up all night! I have no idea why. I meant to go to bed after my last post. Oh well, here's a survey: 2004 In Review.

1. What did you do in that you'd never done before?
I quit my job by leaving a resignation letter on the boss's desk and walking out in the middle of the day.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions?
No, who does? But I joined the gym and that makes up for all of it.

3. What countries did you visit?
England, France, and Canada.

4. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Motivation!

5. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
October 27, the day the Red Sox won the World Series, and October 30, the day of the Sox victory parade.

6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Wow, 2004 was slow on achievements. Umm... I watched Back to the Future parts I and II about twenty times each, and part III about five times.

7. What was your biggest failure?
I gained back some of the weight I had lost in 03.

8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I randomly puked a lot this year for some reason. I had a severe cough that stuck around for weeks at the beginning of the year. Nothing major.

9. What was the best thing you bought?
The iPod speakers I got Joe for Christmas. The Guster ticket I gave Amy for her graduation.

10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Judy and Chris, for achieving and maintaining sobriety. Carly and Kevin, for making the leap to cohabitation. Joe, for being awesome all the time.

11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Terrorists, insurgents, Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, voters in red states.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, clothes, Starbucks.

13. What song will always remind you of 2004?
"Vertigo" by U2, "Somebody Told Me" by the Killers, and "This Love" by Maroon 5.

14. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter
c) richer or poorer? Richer

15. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Doing stuff in the city, working out, writing.

16. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying about stupid work shit.

17. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve we went to my grandparents' house for the traditional Italian feast. Christmas Day we opened gifts at my parents' house and then went to my uncle's for dinner.

18. Did you fall in love in 2004?
No, but I stayed in love, so that's good.

19. How many one-night stands?
Oh, you know, the usual.

20. What was your favorite TV program?
Six Feet Under was good this year. The Apprentice was disappointing. The Surreal Life filled a shallow, shameful void. The Science Channel, What Not to Wear and endless hours of VH1 rounded out the weekends.

21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
In theory I guess I hate that bitch from that job I quit, but truthfully I don't care about her or anyone else I could hate, who is like, I can't even think of anyone, that's how much I don't care.

22. What was the best book you read?
AMERICA the book by Jon Stewart.

23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I discovered how much Rufus Wainwright sucks ass.

24. What did you want and get?
The chance to go back to London. A new car. A roadtrip.

25. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to laugh at J.Lo's third divorce, but alas I must wait a few more months.

26. What was your favorite film of this year?
Napoleon Dynamite.

27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I saw Meet the Fockers with Joe and my sister. I turned 27.

28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
To have had an anonymous benefactor who gave us a shitload of cash.

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
All year long, my workwear consisted of boot-cut trousers and light tops. In January I ruined my favorite gray trousers with a sugar-free chocolate stain. During summer I lived in tank tops, jean skirts and flip-flops. In the fall I dropped a ton of cash on fall clothes. In December I played musical jeans to see what still fit.

30. What kept you sane?
Joe, my friends, my mom.

31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Since this was the year of the Red Sox, I have to say Doug Mirabelli. While he is neither a celebrity nor a public figure, he is the cutest backup catcher in Major League Baseball.

32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Everything. The war in Iraq begat Farenheit 9/11 begat the DNC begat the presidential election. It's all related.

33. Who did you miss?
Amanda, who I didn't see all year, and Joe when he was wrapped up in school stuff.

34. Who is the best new person you met?
Mardi, my work friend turned outside-of-work friend who is a great shopping partner. Also Kevin and Chris, the newest additions to our friend group.

35. Tell us some valuable life lessons you learned in 2004.
That sweating the small stuff just makes you feel like a fool afterwards for wasting the time. That being a bad friend is a shitty thing to do to someone you care about. That taking care of yourself and making yourself happy really is the only way you'll have anything to give to others.

36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"What you waiting, what you waiting, what you waiting, what you waiting, what you waiting, what you waiting for? Take a chance you stupid ho."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer