10.05.2005
Turning a Tuesday evening into a Saturday night and Sunday morning
U2 is one of those bands that I can't imagine anyone hating. They've been around forever, they have a history, and even people who claim to hate them have to admit they like at least one song.

I'm a passive U2 fan. I don't have any of their CDs except How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, which was a gift from my boss. That kind of surprises me - no Rattle and Hum, no Achtung Baby, no Zooropa. I think I had The Joshua Tree on a cassette some guy made for me. It never seemed necessary to shell out the bucks - they released a ton of singles, which were all over the radio and MTV, and for whatever reason I always got the sense that they were one of those bands where the songs they released really were the only ones worth listening to.

But they've always been there, U2 has, coming out with something new to react to, something wrenching like One or something weird-ass like that video where they put tape all over the Edge's face. U2 is a comfort, a cushion of reliable good music to offset all the Good Charlottes and Sisqos of the world.

This is all leading up to saying that I finally saw them live last night. And it was awesome. They put on a BIG show, bigger than I'm used to. I don't normally go to big-ticket stadium shows with lasers and fire and shit; I prefer laid back outdoor summer shows. U2's stage had a giant oval walkway, video screens, and these lightbulb curtain things that came down and showed pictures. They played a powerful set, slowing it down and bringing it back up at just the right times, and Bono was animated and talkative and sincere. The music sounded great. They got a fantastic review in the Globe this morning. It was very, very cool. I am very, very tired.

Today is our 3-year anniversary! I'm going to pick up Joe's new wedding ring, which we got up in Maine a couple weekends ago. It's shiny, modern, white gold. His original was a plain yellow "comfort band" that we bought in Toronto. We threw it in as a complement to the yellow setting of my diamond, which I ended up re-setting in platinum before the wedding. I have a yellow wedding band too, which I've never worn and which is buried in my jewelry box somewhere. I'm holding onto it in case I ever want to switch or if I'm ever hard up for cash and need to visit a pawn shop.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer