9.09.2005
The crack o' jack
I came to work at 7:00 today so I can leave at 9:30. The roads were empty and I got a parking space mere steps from the door. Sleeping in would have been an attractive option but (a) it's Friday of a 4-day week (b) there are a couple things I need to get done, and (c) I save 2.5 hours of PTO.

It's (c) that sold me on coming in. I hate the idea of wasting PTO just to wait for an electrician. He's coming to replace the wiring in our kitchen ceiling and install a new light fixture. We took down the old fixture on Monday and found a bad scene: burn spots in the ceiling from the light bulbs and a bunch of crusty, frayed wires. As we examined the damage, black flakes and chips of burnt plaster rained down. There was silence as we both realized the house could have burned down. Since then we've only been using the stove hood light.

The new light fixture is part of Operation We Don't Want The Kitchen To Look Like Ass Anymore. We painted it pale green when we first moved in, but instead of French provincial we got mental ward. I found the can this weekend and even the name was ghastly: Lime Wash. And the floor, which never gets totally clean no matter how hard you scrub, tore when they installed the new dishwasher. So I went on a buying spree: curtains, tablecloth, pictures for the walls, etc. And we liked how everything looked, but it made it even more obvious that we needed new paint and a new floor. Neither of us were excited about painting, because working around the doorways and cabinets is a pain in the ass, but we sucked it up and did it on Saturday, even after going out the night before. We went with a shade called Napa Valley, a rich, warm green that lights up when the sun comes in. I just hope the electrical work won't violate our bank account too badly, because we still need to have the new floor installed.

This weekend we also tackled the office, which had been long-neglected. You couldn't go in there without knocking over a pile of books, CDs, DVDs, or papers. We got to work, and now it's orderly, functional, and attractive. There's a lot in there--two CD racks, two desks, three bookcases--but everything has a home. The desks have chairs that match. The light switch actually goes to a light.

Yeah baby. Fucking motivation. The same motivation that got me out the door at 6:40 this morning and sent me back to the gym this week. It feels good, you know? I don't understand why it doesn't stick around.


1 Comments:

Blogger Pepper said...

I love that pale green from hospitals in the fifties. Reminds me of a horror movie -- try smearing ketchup on the walls or writing things in blood like "I eat the dreams of mad children.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer