5.25.2005
Rollerchick
I'm thinking about how much I miss roller skating. That is a fad that needs to come back in a big way. What happened to it? We used to love going to the rink and checking out boys and trying to get our fries and soda back to the table at the snack bar without falling on our asses. I'd go every week if they had an 80's night. I wanted those Skechers roller skate sneakers they had out a couple of years ago, but I didn't get them and now they're discontinued. I heard a Wham! song today and that's what brought this on. You know the song that goes "And now you tell me that you're having my baby / I'll tell you that I'm happy if you want me to"? It's called Everything She Wants and it was a roller rink staple at the place I used to go to.

You know how that is when you're a kid, you remember a place that you almost think you made up because you only went there once, and you try to quiz your parents about where it was, and they think you're insane because for them it was somewhere incredibly nondescript and forgettable? There are a couple of places like that for me, like The Furniture Store with that Room with the Pit full of Sponge Cubes and That Weird Bus Station or Something that We Went to and I Specifically Remember "Arthur's Theme" by Christopher Cross Being on the Radio.

Speaking of which, there's this radio station here that I love, right? 93.7 Mike FM. "We play everything" is their tagline. And, God love them, they do. This morning they played "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark, right between "Uptown Girl" and that Depeche Mode song that goes "PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE SO WHY SHOULD IT BE / YOU AND I SHOULD GET ALONG SO AWFULLY." It is just fabulous that there's a station out there that actually plays songs, and random perfect fucked up whoa-what-the-hell-I-haven't-heard-this-in-ages songs, in the morning instead of some asswipe who thinks he's funny but so isn't.


2 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Personally, I was really happy when birthday parties stopped involving roller skates. You can imagine how successfully I functioned on wheels.

Blogger Bray said...

My GOD I miss the "Skatin' Station"....and of course the constant playing of Bon Jovi's opus: Slippery When Wet.

I head-banged for the first time there....I think I'm gonna cry...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer