3.29.2006
Please buy our house
We're finally ready to put the condo on the market. It's been a pain in the butt getting it ready: learning how to install tile, getting high on mildew stain remover (not me, of course), hiring electricians and HVAC guys (thank you Craigslist), cleaning every nook and cranny, imposing on friends for their brawn (thank you Professor K). Not to mention the ongoing mindfuckery of trying to obtain four measly single-roller cabinet catches. Which was the first thing we tried to accomplish. And which we found out are not carried in any store, be it home improvement megamart or mom-and-pop hardware outlet. And which you can find online, but when you try to order them from an indie because you don't want to give your business to Home Despot, you get your order credited back to you with an apologetic note explaining that they are on 6-week backorder. And when you finally bite the bullet and order them from Home Despot's website even though they cost more but you never want to think about cabinet hardware ever again, you wait several days, quite patiently, for a shipping confirmation that NEVER COMES!

I hope it sells quickly once it is up. The next phase of having to vacate whenever there's a showing and make the bed every morning and put all our dishes in the dishwasher promptly and keep up on the vacuuming and dusting and sink scum might grow to suck.

We also went looking at a few houses. It may be premature, but we wanted to get a sense of what's out there. We saw five places: 3 splits, 1 cape and 1 colonial. They all had clear pros and cons. The one with the ugly rugs and the street noise had a great downstairs family room. The one with the gorgeous hardwood floors and updated kitchen had a tiny third bedroom. The one with a crapload of wallpaper and no garage had a fabulous backyard. The largest, newest and nicest one was in an awful location. The one with the heated pool was cramped and sketchy inside. But what we learned is that Finding Something We Like + Being Able to Afford It = Possible.

Beyond house things, not much is going on. The pregnancy is going well. I'm at 25 weeks today, and my weekly e-newsletter says there are 104 days left until my due date. The baby is more active now. I used to only feel movements when I was sitting quietly and paying attention, but now I can feel them when I'm distracted by other things: driving, working, in a restaurant, even walking around. I've started doing kick counts, which are counting how long it takes to feel 10 movements. And Joe finally felt two little thumps the other night. It was a challenge getting him to feel it, because whenever we put a hand on my belly, she freezes. I had to trick her by lying down and placing his hand on the side.

People have been asking me how it feels. I totally understand, because I was always really curious about it too, and it's such a mysterious thing, even while you're experiencing it. In the beginning it felt like bubbles popping, and they were few and far between and I always wanted to feel more of them. Now it feels like a few different things. Sometimes I feel a stirring, which just makes me aware of the fact that something is in there. Sometimes I feel a series of small bumps and thumps, punctuated by big ones that take me by surprise. Sometimes they come two at a time, or two in a row in different places. And sometimes I'll feel one big movement and then nothing, which is probably a somersault or flip. I can't really tell arms from legs yet, although I assume the bigger ones are kicks and the smaller ones are punches. Sometimes I can poke my belly and get a poke back, but it's probably coincidence because other times I get nothing.

So, today is the first day that we don't have a huge house-related to-do list for after work. All that's left, I believe, is the removal of one area rug, the installation of one battery-operated cabon monoxide detector, and some vacuuming. And then some sitting around telling each other how awesome we are.


3 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

I want some lesbian DVDs, too!

Blogger amusing said...

Oh-- the coolest is when you can sit and just watch your belly move on its own like some freaky sci fi movie! It's awesome -- for so many reasons. And the sort of thing you can't explain to anyone. It just is.

Blogger Melissa said...

Amusing - I can't wait for that! When does it start - around seven, eight months?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer