12.09.2005
Winter Hinterland
It's snowing like balls today. We're supposed to get a foot by evening. This morning I got out of the shower and everything was already covered and it was coming down pretty hard. The morning news was focusing only on the storm, school closings were flying fast and furious, and I thought for a brief, insane moment, "Hmm, maybe work will be closed." We have a hotline that you're supposed to call when stuff happens that might impact going to work, so I called it. It was busy. My eyes glazed over as I pressed redial a couple million times. Busy, busy busy. I resigned myself to coming in.

Hours later my car, my lovely car, so clean and unsullied when I backed it out of the garage this morning, is covered in a thick frosting of icy bullplop. My windshield wipers stick out at broken-bone angles. The snow is blowing sideways and visibility is zero.

At home the TV's big blind eye stares at Joe's chair. Packets of powdered hot chocolate with marshmallow pellets are itchy to dissolve in a mug of hot water. I am languishing at my desk, becoming distracted and going to visit my coworkers' kids, whose schools are closed and who are in the conference room coloring photocopies of the food pyramid.

Why are we here????


2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger Joe said...

Those poor, lonely marshmallow hot chocolate packets. *Sniff*

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer