11.28.2005
Break
My break consisted of doing jack shit. We didn't drag our big fake Christmas tree out of the attic, we didn't put on suits of armor and venture out to the malls, we didn't go to any high-school reunions. What we did was get an oil change, talk with a few friends, watch movies, and take naps. I haven't had a stretch of nothingness like that in a long time. It was uncharacteristic of us, kind of fun but also kind of lonely, and it was still over too quickly.

Thanksgiving itself was good: family, food and football. We saw my parents' Italy pictures before dinner. We discussed real estate and politics. The extended family came by for dessert, including my cousin and her 3-month-old baby. It was weird to have a new person in the family but also about time. We handed him around until he got cranky and passed out; then we all watched him snore in his little carrying thing while making phantom sucking motions with his mouth and crinkling the ears of his plush elephant.

This morning, back at work. A gray Monday. The weekend had a bittersweet ending. My college roommate called yesterday to tell me her brother had committed suicide over the weekend. I was happy to hear from her but crushed by the news. Today they will cremate him. Wednesday I will leave work early to attend his memorial. I hope you're at peace, Spanky. Watch over the ones who loved you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer