10.26.2005
Duuyyyyyi-i-I heard that!
Vh1 is doing yet another iteration of I Love the 80s. Last night they showed You Can't Do That on Television, a show I LOVED when I was young. I had no idea it was Canadian, or Mr. Wizard's World. I should have figured it out I guess, since Alanis Morissette was on YCDTOTV. Why were we watching Canadian programming? I'm glad we were, but I'm surprised Nickelodeon didn't just rip off the Canucks' good ideas and make our own better, flashier, grosser version. I guess because it was a young network then and it was cheaper to import than to produce its own shows.

It was such a great show though. Christine "Moose" McGlade, Alasdair Gillis, Lisa "Motormouth" Ruddy, and Kevin Illyanovich Rasputin Kubusheskie were my favorite cast members. I loved all the skits... Barth's burger joint, Blip's arcade, in school, in detention, in front of the firing squad, in the dungeon. Ross's Egg-O-Rama (Rt. 12, King's Side Road), green slime, locker jokes, "Don't encourage your father!" Awesome.

Mr. Wizard was always on: before school, after school, Saturdays. I remember having a dorky crush on this kid Christian. I don't know why, he was such a wuss, always wide-eyed and intimidated by whatever fantastical thing Mr. Wizard was going to show him. He did some cool stuff. I liked the experiment where he made a kid hold a paint can suspended by a string under his chin, let it go, and stand still to prove that it wouldn't smack him in the face when it swung back. My favorite experiment was when he demonstrated a chain reaction by dropping a ping-pong ball into a big plexiglas box filled with mouse traps that were all baited with ping-pong balls.

Sadly, I couldn't share my glee last night with Joe—he didn't have cable until 1993.

Our new kitchen floor is supposed to go in today. Joe stayed home; the installers were supposed to arrive between 8-12. It's 1:04 and they haven't shown up or called to explain why they're late. Joe calls and gets voicemail, or a useless human who says, "Well the computer says between 8-12. They must be on their way." Don't they have call phones or walkie-talkies? They'd better not try to reschedule. We had to move the table and chairs, the fridge and the stove to prepare. The table, fridge and stove are in the dining room. The chairs are in the office. The microwave is on the dining room table. We don't want to put it all back and move it again. Fuckers!


1 Comments:

Blogger Bray said...

YCDTOT rules everything!!!!

http://www.ycdtotv.com/

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer