11.01.2005
Hey, I'm crazy pickle-nose! I got a pickle for a nose! Now gimme some candy!

Last Halloween we had good candy and this kickass jack o' lantern. This year, not so much. There weren't any parties or haunted hayrides, it was on a Tuesday (the most non-day of the week), I went to the gym and picked up my dry cleaning (subsequently getting "Wake Me Up When September Ends" stuck in my head for the rest of the night) and didn't get home until 7:00, and I was anti-candy, so it kind of went over my head. I told Joe to buy a bag of candy he likes and then take the leftovers to work. He got Milky Ways and Rolos, which for me are in the "Eh" category. Believe me, I was tempted—O how the Reese's peanut butter cups, KitKats and fun size Snickers did taunt me in Stop&Shop and CVS, but I resisted.

We had just three groups of trick-or-treaters. I can't blame parents for taking their kids elsewhere; I wouldn't trick-or-treat in my neighborhood either. There's nothing wrong with it, but our house is on a dead-end street off a busy road, the busy road is mostly commercially zoned, and the river is behind it, which is fine during the day but very dark at night, a potential child predator petting zoo.

Maybe it's a blessing. As early as next year we could be living in suburbia, with half of Hershey's net holdings in a barrel in the foyer, bickering about who's going to get the door for the gajillionth time.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer