10.23.2006
Baaa.
Monday. My entire department is wearing pink. One of those inexplicable things that seems mildly funny in context but loses all humor when explained to an outsider, like right now when I explain it to you: a few weeks ago, our VP remarked that she loved cuddly pink sweaters. One of our senior team members thought it would be clever if we showed up to our all-hands meeting wearing pink. I wore my pink sweater, pink camisole, pink earrings and pink ring, because if you’re going to participate, you might as well do it right. We sat around the table, a bunch of grown men and women looking like we’d been spun through a cotton candy machine, and waited to see whether she would a) notice and b) get it. She didn’t.

Ha ha… ha?

Now I’m enjoying a mocha latte, gingerly. There’s something about the drink hole in a Starbucks lid that always causes one rogue drip. I have to protect my pink sweater. It’s brand new; I bought it specifically for the meeting because I want to be a team player. Haha, Jesus, that’s not true, but it is new.

I love me a midday coffee run… there’s nothing like busting out and clearing your head of work concerns for a while. Plus I like being out in the world in my work wardrobe. I’m borderline fetishistic about work clothes—tweed pants that break just so, crisp button-downs, knits in rich colors, clicky shoes—but they go to waste in the office, where you see the same people every day, none of whom care what you look like, and at the end of the day all you have to show for a nice outfit is lap creases from sitting at your desk all day. And outside of work I dress way down; with a three-month-old, a big night out is driving around for an hour and a half looking for a chain restaurant without a ridiculous wait and eventually opting for takeout from Kelly’s.

On Saturday Joe and I did a kickass job painting the front of our house where they did the garage door work. We had to get a new gallon of paint but it blended perfectly with the old, the trimwork was neat and complimented the door color, and we took care of business without procrastinating or complaining (much). Basically, you can make quick work of any annoying project when you blast the new Killers. We also had the paving guy out to do a second estimate on widening our driveway. The (semi-) bad news: because it’s so late in the season, the possiblity exists that they won’t be able to put down the top layer of asphalt this year. The good news: they’ll at least be able to do the widening and put down a layer of binder. Then they’d come back next spring and put the top layer. Works for us. All we want is to be able to put both cars in the garage this winter.

And big congratulations to Carly, auntie-to-be! There’s nothing more exciting than hearing about a new baby. And congratulations to her brother and sister-in-law, of course, who executed the miracle.

That’s about it… no great insight or lesson today. Or ever.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer