1.17.2005
time warp
I am getting old, there is no way around it. Friday night we went bowling. Usually it's fun because we go to the place in Cambridge that has a bar and serves food and has ten pin upstairs and candlepin downstairs. But this time we went up to Woburn because we were meeting Beth and Craig halfway. The place was crawling with kids. There was a birthday party. There was atomic bowling with bumpers and blacklights. There was a normal section on the other side but it was full. So we were in the atomic section (they took down the bumpers), and it was chaotic and we couldn't have a conversation and the lights were distracting. Once you start worrying that atomic bowling is going to give you a headache, you're old.

Saturday morning I went to the gym. I had a good workout, and it was the first time this year that I did two sets of my strength routine. I did the second set after cardio because I remembered what my trainer said about having more power. I forget if she was talking about cardio or toning, but it worked. I also started putting a towel over the display on the treadmill; I've seen other people do it and not being able to see how much time is left or how hard the climb is going to get really helps. I forgot my headphones though, so I watched a scuba diving show on PBS for the visual appeal.

Saturday night we went out to dinner with Judy and Chris to celebrate Chris's one year of sobriety. We went to a Brazilian place in Brighton and it was fantastic. I burned my mouth on a fried banana and it burts like hell today, but the burn was worth it and so was cheating. Then we picked up Chris's mother and went to the AA meeting where people spoke on his behalf. His mom's tribute was really touching and emotional.

Yesterday we went over to watch the Pats game with Joe's friends from school. The guy who hosted and his two roommates live on Comm Ave between BC and BU and the place definitely looks the part of the college boy apartment: nothing on the walls except beer signs and a dartboard, no curtains, crappy couch, crappy coffee table, crappy kitchen table with mismatched chairs, huge TV and speakers, broken kitchen tiles, fridge full of cheap beer, random girls from upstairs coming down to visit, vaguely bad smell throughout. There was poker and quarters and a Playboy drink book and a full bar in the built-in china cabinet. The whole place brought me back about 8 years. Except the guys that live there? I think they're like 28 years old. They could stand to class up the joint a little... or get girlfriends, whichever comes first.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer