1.24.2005
Vegetables
It's no wonder people don't eat vegetables... they don't have any flavor. I had a dish of cucumber slices as part of my lunch and they tasted weird. I didn't use dressing, figuring I could just snack on them plain, but they tasted like a combination of every other vegetable in the salad bar. No cucumber flavor at all. I ate them anyway, but I chewed them up quickly and then drank a bunch of water after each one. I usually love cucumbers; I actually felt bad not liking these ones because I think they were mistreated.

I wish it was possible to get good vegetables without growing them yourself. Organic ones are better than run of the mill grocery store ones, but organic tomatoes still don't have that earthy, sun-soaked flavor that ones out of the garden do. People would eat more simple, non-drenched in honey-mustard dressing salads if there was quality produce in them. I get pissed when I go to a restaurant and I get a salad full of what is clearly generic bagged crap: white iceberg lettuce, shredded carrot, and shredded purple cabbage, with a couple anemic tomato slices. That's why I always get Caesars, because at least the leaves are greener if you can work around all the stems.

On a different note, there's 2+ feet of snow on the ground after a Top 5 snowfall. The most amazing part of the storm, I think, was waking up early Sunday morning and feeling completely enshrouded. By then it had snowed about 18 inches, and we still had blizzard conditions until noontime, and the sun was obscured, so it was like the whole world was tucked into this daytime twilight. And it was so quiet... everything so cushioned you could practically hear the flakes falling.

Except, of course, for when my butchy neighbor was out snowblowing, which she did every six inches, which means she was out there at least four times. I don't get people who can't sit back and enjoy a storm like that. You can't control it, so you might as well let it do its thing and then marvel at the sight in the morning. No, not her - she cleaned her car off and shoveled the first time on Saturday night! Like there wasn't going to be a a foot and a half there in the morning. She probably set her alarm for 3:00 a.m. to stay ahead of it. For Christ's sake, lady, watch a movie! Play with your dog! Or your girlfriend!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer