2.01.2005
High school quiz
What year was it?
1994ish

What were your three favorite bands or musical artists?
Pearl Jam, Letters to Cleo and Green Day.

What were your favorite clothes?
I dressed like I was going to do yard work… jeans, flannels and hiking boots. Ever hopelessly suburban, I accessorized with Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirts, bead necklaces and a copy of Thoreau’s Walden.

What was up with your hair?
It was big. I think I was always in the process of growing out a perm.

Who were your friends?
Cheryl, Mindy, Jen, Alvina, Jeff, other Jen, Beth, Marianela, Adam, Melina and Dave – people whom, with the exception of one, I have not seen in years.

Where did you work?
Bob’s Stores… that place was fun.

What did you do after school?
Worked mostly, hung out and drove around. I don’t remember doing homework. I did a lot of bullshit extracurricular activities for the benefit of my college applications so I must have put in an appearance at a few of those: tennis team, drama club, school newspaper, the short-lived Outdoors Club (where Walden came in handy), academic decathlon, and the Massachusetts Alliance Against Racism and Violence.

Did you take the bus?
Occasionally, but mostly I drove. I had to bring my dad to the train station at 6:30 a.m. in order to have the car.

Who did you have a crush on?
I had the same crush all through junior high and high school, a kid named T.J. who had gorgeous ice blue eyes.

Did you fight with your parents?
Not really, although I was pissed when they made me go to summer school for algebra.

Who did you have a CELEBRITY crush on?
Eddie Vedder, Billie Joe Armstrong and Jody Reed, the runty Red Sox second baseman.

Did you smoke cigarettes?
No. I didn’t do bad stuff in high school at all. Even after senior prom all we did was drink a bunch of wine coolers.

Did you lug all of your books around in your backpack because you were too nervous to find your locker?
Ah, no. My friends and I used each other’s lockers depending on how close they were to certain classes.

Did you have a 'clique'?
Sadly, yes. My class was so small and so fragmented that you couldn’t really jump groups or be friends with everyone. Unless you were very socially courageous, you found a group and stayed in it.

Did you have "The Max" like Zach, Kelly and Slater?
No. Some people hung out at a place called Parish Park where the police would break up the crowd every ten minutes, but I never did.

Admit it, were you popular?
No. The popular people in my class were a curious mix of obnoxious clowns and student council brownies. I liked the punks and art class types who were a year or two below.

Who did you want to be just like?
I wanted to be the super-me. I wanted to be able to flip a switch and make every guy want me and make every girl want to be my best friend.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
A novelist.

Where did you think you'd be at the age you are now?
I guess married with children, but that felt so far off that it was just a probability, not something I could picture. I just remember vague, unbelievable ideas of myself having an apartment and a real job.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer