7.15.2005
Rick Astley is my hero
Last night Joe discovered that on iTunes you can look up the top 100 billboard songs for any year. We stayed up until past midnight listening to everything from 1980-2003, a retrospective of pretty much our whole lives. It was great. For some reason it was really interesting to see how tastes moved from arena rock to new wave to hair bands to pop to dance to grunge to rap to alternative to whatever you want to call the derivative crap we have today. I can also tell you with some authority that 1989 was a great year for music. Rick Astley is a pimp.

Moving through the years, I kept getting socked with memories, from when I was a kid up until about when I lived in Brooklyn. The strongest memories were the ones about camp. I've always had a random mental soundtrack for those times, and whenever I hear one of the songs I have to stop for a second and revel. I want to make a mix CD but I'd have to find more songs, because it would need to be totally authentic. A random sampling of what would be on it:

Til Tuesday - Lucky
New Order - Regret
Corey Hart - Never Surrender
Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
Aerosmith - Cryin'
Cheap Trick - The Flame

In other news, I kicked ass at the gym this week. On Wednesday I did a power step class, which was hilarious because 1) it was advanced and I've never done step in my life, and 2) it was highly choreographed and I quit ballet in kindergarten. But I stayed and jumped around doing my own thing and it was a good workout, so whatever. Then last night I did kickboxing, which I liked a lot more. The instructor didn't act like it was boot camp, and the combinations were easy to follow, and I sweated buckets and thought I was going to be crippled afterwards, so it was great. I'd do that one again. I came home and demonstrated for Joe my killer jab, cross, hook and uppercut.

Four more hours of work and then freedom! I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend after the nonstop action of last week. 4th of July weekend was a lot of fun and Amanda's visit was great--I was so happy to see her and it was awesome to spend time together--but toward the end of the week, several bits of disturbing news came in at once and there was way too much to think about. The routine of work/gym/home, work/gym/home has been a relief. But now I'm ready for a break.


3 Comments:

Blogger Gunngirl said...

You can't have Til Tuesday without Voices Carry.

And I wish I were you in the step class. I could use a workout. Actually, several...

Blogger Red said...

I took a step class once and realized it's really more for people who have motor control. Darn.

Blogger Melissa said...

I'm afraid of the step class now! I was at the gym last night and watched them through the glass while I huffed away on the treadmill. They go "Whoo!" and "Ow!" (not painful ow, excited ow) because they're so into it.

As for the music, I agree with you all that there are critical songs missing. Those are for another 80s-90s mix... this one is sentimental.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer